Monday 6 June 2011

"Evolving structure 06-2011" - an abstract painting

I'm not submitting under the Radicals theme (unless you think my approach is a bit radical).

I am currently studying on the City Lit 2nd year Fine Art course and I am involved in exploring the possibilities of using an experimental, process-driven approach to abstract painting.

I am inspired by the macro/micro natural world
and organic forms, from the patterns of mineral crystallisation in rocks to photographs of whole galaxies taken by the Hubble telescope. As a mathematician, I am excited by randomness, chaos and the place of chance and probability in evolution and like to incorporate these elements into my work, responding to each stage of the painting to ‘evolve’ it step by step. I also like to use a wide variety of materials: acrylic and oil paint, charcoal and pastels; choosing which ever feels right at a given stage. Gerhard Richter’s experimental drawings and his squeegee paintings (e.g. The Cage paintings at Tate Modern) have been a particular influence.

These two images are two stages of a painting I am current working on for the exhibition - I hope it will be finished by Thursday! It's an acrylic painting on stretched linen canvas; approx. 22in x 16in.

Steve Lockett  -  Heinz Archive and Library Volunteer working for Laura Clarke


No comments:

Post a Comment