Thursday 2 June 2011

Peta's Paintings : A Matter of Life and Dunes

I'm Peta Taylor, a freelance educator at the Gallery. My submission to the show isn't related to or inspired by the Radicals but you may be able to trace your own tenuous link...
 Since some quick studies while swimming at Climping last summer, I've been working on paintings & drawings of sand dunes and marram grass, trying to capture the light, shadows, colours, movement - even the heat, sounds and memories.
First efforts to try out colours and techniques - still my favourite paintings.
 This has taken me to Camber Sands and then Braunton Burrows , where most of Powell & Pressburger's heavenly 'A Matter of Life & Death' was filmed (near an American air base there). The Burrows are the biggest dune system in the country, stretching 4 miles along and 1.5 miles inland (roughly the area of Brighton, my home) and breath-taking. The sand there is coral coloured in the morning and the shadows any the sky dictates: that's the challenge.


Testing a birthday cake candle & oil pastels to resist the paint.
Working from sand-dunes is satisfyingly nostalgic: I remember shivering in damp swimsuits, carrying wind-breaks, nets, digging equipment, chairs and greasy cheese rolls in a Bejam ice cream tub. It has the advantage too of  combining swimming, sun-bathing and sketching - not a bad way to spend a day (and the paints & cake-candle aren't quite as cumbersome as a kite & deck-chair). I hope they bring back breezy memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment